Saturday, March 21, 2015

What Are 5 of Your Favorite Movie Moments? (2-16-14)


5 of My Favorite Movie Moments?
1) Teresa Wright in “Shadow of a Doubt” falls but catches herself in time on a sabotaged back stairway and suddenly realizes her psycho homicidal uncle, Joseph Cotten, is now targeting her.
2) Wheelchair-bound James Stewart  in “Rear Window” answers the phone, having just tried to reach his cop friend. Stewart mentions the name “Thorwald” in his first sentence, then stops and realizes the silence at the other end means it is Raymond Burr – Thorwald -- calling! Uh oh.
3) Robert Redford in “Butch Cassidy” confesses to Paul Newman  that he doesn’t want to jump off the cliff into the rapids below because he can’t swim. Newman laughs and says, “The fall alone will probably kill ya!” Then they jump off together, holding onto one holster and hollering, “SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIT!!!!!”
4) Alec Guinness in "The Bridge on the River Kwai" is so obsessed with the POW-built railway bridge he almost prevents its demolition by the Allied soldiers. Just in time Guinness recognizes the bigger picture.
5) Patrick Swayze in "Dirty Dancing" shows up at the finale event in the Catskills resort and asserts to Jennifer Gray’s father, Jerry Orbach, “Nobody puts Baby in the corner!”
--------------------------------------
I am also including a list of some iconic movie lines. If you don't recognize a quote and/or its corresponding movie click here.  How many of their characters/movies can you guess without checking?  My 5 favorite quotes among these:
1) “I coulda been a contender.”
2) “Fasten your seatbelts. It’s going to be a bumpy night.”
3) “What we’ve got here is a failure to communicate.”  (when Newman repeats it at the end)
4) “I’m as mad as hell, and I’m not going to take this anymore!”
5) “I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.”

SOME FAMOUS MOVIE QUOTES  If you don't recognize a quote and/or its corresponding movie click here.
“Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.”
“I’m going to make him an offer he can’t refuse.”
“You don’t understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could’ve been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am.”
“Toto, I’ve got a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore.”
“Here’s looking at you, kid.”
“Go ahead, make my day.”
“Fasten your seatbelts. It’s going to be a bumpy night.”
“You talkin’ to me?”
“What we’ve got here is a failure to communicate.”
“I love the smell of napalm in the morning.”
“Love means never having to say you’re sorry.”
“They call me Mister Tibbs!”
“Rosebud.”
“I’m as mad as hell, and I’m not going to take this anymore!”
“Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.”
“A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.”
“Bond. James Bond.”
“Show me the money!”
“You can’t handle the truth!”
“Round up the usual suspects.”
“I’ll have what she’s having.”
“You’re gonna need a bigger boat.”
“I’ll be back.”
“If you build it, he will come.”
“Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you’re gonna get.”
“We rob banks.”
“Plastics.”
“We’ll always have Paris.”
“I see dead people.”
“Stella! Hey, Stella!”
“Well, nobody’s perfect.”
“Houston, we have a problem.”
“You had me at ‘hello.’”
“La-dee-da, la-dee-da.”
“Greed, for lack of a better word, is good.”
“As God is my witness, I’ll never be hungry again.”
“Say ‘hello’ to my little friend!”
“What a dump.”
“Elementary, my dear Watson.”
“Here’s Johnny!”
“No wire hangers, ever!”
“I have always depended on the kindness of strangers.”
“Hasta la vista, baby.”
Striker: “Surely you can’t be serious.” Rumack: “I am serious...and don’t call me Shirley.”
“Yo, Adrian!”
“Hello, gorgeous.”
“Toga! Toga!”
“Attica! Attica!”
“Tell ‘em to go out there with all they got and win just one for the Gipper.”
“A martini. Shaken, not stirred.”
“Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!”
“Snap out of it!”
“Nobody puts Baby in a corner.”
“I’ll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!”
“I’m the king of the world!”

----------------

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest: All that follows, when Chief sees what has been done to McMurphy.

Patton: George C. Scott's opening monologue as General Patton [screenplay written by Francis Ford Coppola].

Bonnie And Clyde: Faye Dunaway's line "We rob banks".

Runaway Train: Manny: [after listening to Buck's dream] That's bullshit. You're not gonna do nothin' like that. I'll tell you what you gonna do. You gonna get a job. That's what you gonna do. You're gonna get a little job. Some job a convict can get, like scraping off trays in a cafeteria. Or cleaning out toilets. And you're gonna hold onto that job like gold. Because it is gold. Let me tell you, Jack, that is gold. You listenin' to me? And when that man walks in at the end of the day. And he comes to see how you done, you ain't gonna look in his eyes. You gonna look at the floor. Because you don't want to see that fear in his eyes when you jump up & grab his face, and slam him to the floor, and make him scream & cry for his life. So you look right at the floor, Jack. Pay attention to what I'm sayin', motherfucker! And then he's gonna look around the room - see how you done. And he's gonna say "Oh, you missed a little spot over there. Jeez, you didn't get this one here. What about this little bitty spot?" And you're gonna suck all that pain inside you, and you're gonna clean that spot. And you're gonna clean that spot. Until you get that shiny clean. And on Friday, you pick up your paycheck. And if you could do that, if you could do that, you could be president of Chase Manhattan... corporations! If you could do that.
Buck: Not me, man! I wouldn't do that kind of shit. I'd rather be in fuckin' jail.
Manny: More's the pity, youngster. More's the pity.
Buck: Could you do that kind of shit?
Manny: I wish I could.

Runaway Train: Sara: You're an animal!
Manny: No, worse! Human. Human!
This is a tough one libby. So many to choose from. One will have to be from Casablanca as it's my favorite movie. Even then there are so many great scenes that it seems unfair to the others to choose just one. But, I guess it has to be the Marseilles scene. The song itself is so stirring and the film editing is perfect as it picks up Victor Laszlo inspired and inspiring look as well as Yvonne's transformation. It brings a tear to my eye every time I see it.

I'll have to put on the thinking cap for the other four, so it could be a while.

Great picks of yours. As a fellow Hitchcock fan I remember well both chilling scenes. Likewise for Kwai and Butch Cassidy. I never got around to seeing Dirty dancing but I've seen that Baby line quoted many times.

Of your quotes, I didn't recognize "What a dump" and although i remember the “Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!” line, I can't place the movie or the actor/actress who said it.
OK, one of my five has to be from a Hitchcock film. That doesn't narrow it down much. North By Northwest is my fave and it has plenty of great scenes. There's the elevator scene with Cary Grant, his mother and the assassins; the auction scene where Grant tries to get himself arrested by disrupting the proceedings (" How do we know it's not a fake? It looks like a fake." Bidder: "Well, one thing we know. You're no fake. You are a genuine idiot."); the first rain scene with Eva Marie Saint; and the fabulous Mount Rushmore scene. But I'll go for the crop dusting scene. There's a great camera shot that must have come from ground level where you see Cary Grant and the farmer standing alone on opposite sides of the desolate road and no doubt each of them wondering darkly about the others' motives.

An Honorable Mention would go to the tennis scene in Strangers on a Train where everyone is is moving their heads back and forth following the action while Bruno (Robert Walker) keeps his eyes fixed on Guy (Farley Granger). There's another great shot of Bruno at the top of the Congressional steps.

OK, three to go. Some that I'm pondering are from Witness For the Prosecution, Goodfellas, Cabaret, Chariots of Fire, Tale of Two Cities and Sideways.
"Shadow of a Doubt" and "Rear Window": two of my favorite films. As soon as I saw you mention them, I thought of the tennis scene in Hitchcock's "Strangers on a Train," but I just saw that Abra mentioned it. Everyone has good taste!

I also thought of Tom Joad's speech in Grapes of Wrath, the end of Chaplin's City Lights, when the shopgirl realizes the Tramp has been her benefactor. Harry Lime stepping out of the shadow in The Third Man. Joe Pesci's "do I amuse you" scene in Goodfellas. Anything in Casablanca.
Also: "The Producers," the shot of the stunned audience at the end of "Springtime for Hitler."
wonderful life - i love it all, but when clarence screams, "at the library!! she's an old maid!!" it makes me laugh every single time.

casablanca - weasely guy says, "you despise me, dont you rick?' bogart says, "if i gave you any thought i probably would."

lebowski - "am i wrong?? am i wrong??" any time john goodman says it.

princess bride - when she is standing there in her blue dress. she is so pretty i just cant even stand it.

attica is pretty compelling.

cinema paradiso when he is yelling alfredo alfredo, when the fire happens.
oh, and the end of roman holiday, when gregory peck is looking at her. oh god, i die.
Libby, if you don't stop watching old movies, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But soon, and for the rest of your life. (Here I choke up.)

Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. (Boo)

The food here is awful. And such small portions. (Annie Hall?)

How did I misread those signs? (Play It Again, Sam)

Have you been happy? Has it been worth it? No, I have not been happy. And yes, it has been worth it. (The Dresser)

Koyaanisqatsi
The St Crispin Day speech before the battle of Agincourt in Branagh's HenryV

The "mendacity" scenes in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof

The supper scene (before the big dance) in It's a Wonderful Life

The strong talk with mother scene in Now, Voyager. Bette Davis at her best!

The final scene in Erin Brockovich

Add to this so many others, it was hard for me to choose. I like older Hitchcock, altho' ALL of Rear Window is an absolute fave--the one and only thriller I'd care to watch over and over, except his Rebecca or his North by Northwest.

R


@Abra: The "life's a banquet" line is out of Auntie Mame. The "dump" line is one from bette Davis, from a B & W 1940's flick. Can't recall the title. Not sure about the age of the film, either. Sorry!
Top Five Movies:
1. To Kill a Mockingbird
2. Casablanca
3. Schindler's List
4. Blade Runner
5. All the President's Men

Best Lines:
1. "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." Verbal Kint (Kaiser Söze) "And like that, he's gone." - The Usual Suspects

2. "I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country..." Gen. George Patton - Patton

3. "Once and for all the idea of glorious victories won by the glorious army must be wiped out. Neither side is glorious. On either side they're just frightened men messing their pants and they all want the same thing.
Not to lie under the earth but to walk upon it without crutches." - Jacques Roux Marat/Sade

4. "Now you listen to me, Private Pyle, and you listen good. I want that weapon, and I want it now! You will place that rifle on the deck at your feet, and step back away from it. [Private Pyle points his rifle at Hartman]

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman (cont): What is your major malfunction numbnut? Didn't Mommy and Daddy show you enough attention when you were a child? [Pyle fires, hitting Hartman in the chest] - Full Metal Jacket

5. " Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales
Here's a couple I like that quickly come to mind:

"Made it Ma! Top of the world!"
Jimmy Cagney in White Heat

"Swing away, Merrill."
Patricia Kalember in Signs

"We don't need no stinkin' badges."
Don't know who said it - Treasure of the Sierra Madre

"If it's all the same to you, I'll drive that tanker."
Mel Gibson, Road Warrior
You covered them all...great lists!
One of my favorites, from Sunset Boulevard --

GILLIS: I know your face. You're Norma Desmond. You used to be in pictures. You used to be big.

NORMA: I am big. It's the pictures that got small.
Here's my try for #3. I was thinking there ought to be a spot for tracking scenes. I love 'em. There's a great one in Boogie Nights where Dirk Diggler is entering Burt Reynold's house during a party. And a reverse tracking from Hitchcock in Frenzy where the camera backs out from a narrow apartment hallway and through a window.

But my favorites are from Goodfellas. There's a marvelous one of Henry hill entering the Copacabana through the back door where he winds through hallways and the kitchen before emerging in front of the stage. The other, while not as visually entertaining, makes up for it with some great snatches of dialogue. Hill is entering the nightclub where the rest of the goodfellas are hanging out and acting as narrator, he introduces them. Like Jimmy Twotimes and the guy who says "I took care of that thing for ya". Here's a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD3y43cyddI

But, neither is my favorite scene in the movie. I'll have to go with Cranky's "You're a funny guy" clip. And here's a link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL9rSwrsMHw

Two more to go.
Five off-beat lines that come to mind

Fargo
Mike Yanagita: You were such a super lady... and I'm, I'm so lonely.

Napoleon Dynamite
Kip: Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

Caddyshack
Sandy: Carl I want you to kill all the gophers on the golf course.
Carl Spackler: Correct me if I'm wrong Sandy, but if I kill all the golfers they'll lock me up and throw away the key.

Oh Brother, Where art thou.
General Store Clerk: I can get the part from Bristol. It'll take two weeks. Here's your pomade.
Everett: Two weeks? That don't do me no good.
Clerk: Nearest Ford auto man's Bristol.
Everett: Hold on, now. I don't want this pomade. I want Dapper Dan.
Clerk: I don't carry Dapper Dan. I carry Fop.
Everett: Well, I don't want Fop, goddammit. I'm a Dapper Dan man.
Clerk: You watch your language, young fella. This is a public market. If you want Dapper Dan, I can order it for you, have it in about two weeks.
Everett: Well ain't this place a geographical oddity! Two weeks from everywhere! Forget it! [slams money on the counter] I'll have a dozen hair nets.

Shawshank Redemption
Andy Dufresne
The funny thing is, on the outside, I was an honest man, straight as an arrow. I had to come to prison to be a crook.

There is an never ending list of great dialog and quotes.
#4 reporting for duty.

Sideways is probably my favorite English language movie of this millennium. With the lovely backdrop of one of California's wine regions, it's a buddy movie where the women have the best scenes. One I found just mesmerizing is where the Paul Giamatti character is finally alone with Virgina Madsen who he's very attracted to but is unable to make any advances due to shyness/insecurity. While Thomas Hayden Church and Sandra Oh are up to something passionate in the back bedroom, Madsen and Giamatti are discussing wine. Here is Madsen explaining why she became a wine aficionado:

"No, but I do like to think about the life of wine, how it's a living thing. I like to think about what was going on the year the grapes were growing, how the sun was shining that summer, or if it rained... what the weather was like.

I think about all those people who tended and picked the grapes, and if it's an old wine, how many of them must be dead by now. I love how wine continues to evolve, how every time I open a bottle it's going to taste different than if I had opened it on any other day.

Because a bottle of wine is actually alive -- it's constantly evolving and gaining complexity. That is, until it peaks -- like your '61 -- and begins its steady, inevitable decline.

And it tastes so fucking good."
a lot of my favorites come from Hitchcock.
martin balsam ascending the stairs slowly only to be
summarily stabbed to death..in psycho..

then twirling around "mother's" chair, later, in the basement.

then norman saying "why I wouldn't even hurt a fly"

~
a certain scene from REAR WINDOW

Lisa: [Listening to the composer play his piano] Where does a man get inspiration to write a song like that? It's utterly beautiful. Wish I could be creative.

Jeff: Oh sweetie, you are. You have a great talent for creating difficult situations.

Lisa: I do?

Jeff: Sure. Staying here all night, uninvited.

Lisa: Surprise is the most important element of attack. And besides, you're not up on your private eye literature. When they're in trouble, it's always their Girl Friday who gets them out of it.

Jeff: Well, is she the girl that saves him from the clutches of the seductive showgirls and the overpassionate daughters of the rich?Lisa: The same.

Jeff: That's the one, huh? It's funny, he never ends up marrying her, does he, huh? That's strange.Lisa: Weird.
Steve, thanks for your selections and playing! Re One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is definitely in my top 10 for sure. That ending. God, the moment when McMurphy goes for Nurse Ratchitt's throat! Even before when they all pass out instead of him escaping. And actually loved that moment when he rents the yacht and introduces his fellow patients as doctors, except for the one pretentious guy (hah!), and they certainly can pass for a collection of odd looking quirky shrinks! Hah! A great joke on the world. Also, when Chief breaks his silence and says "Juicy Fruit" and McMurphy is so tickled by that.

That Runaway Train dialogue is amazing. Makes me want to track it down!! Glad you shared it! "Suck up all the pain." Wow.

best, libby
Your movie moments and quotes were excellent. I also enjoyed the responses of your commentators. I love movies and have seen over 3,000 of them.

In addition to all the above listed choices I would add these two, for now:

"You make me want to be a better man." Jack Nicholson to Helen Hunt in AS GOOD AS IT GETS (1997)

"Falling in love is a crazy thing to do. It's kind of like a form of socially acceptable insanity." Amy Adams in HER (2013).

My note: It is particularly insane when you fall in love with your computer operating system!

HER is one of the nine nominees for best picture at the Academy Awards on March 2, 2014. I have seen them all and I can't wait to see if one of my two top choices wins. HER is not one of my choices for best picture, but it was enjoyable. Saw it yesterday. R.
TWO MORE FAVORITES OF MINE:

I was thinking above of two more moments that were so very powerful. "Wait Until Dark" when you think Audrey Hepburn has finally and desperately killed psycho sadist Alan Arkin and then in the dark you see his body leap up as if from the dead and grab at her ankle and catch it. I saw it originally in the movie theater and the ENTIRE audience gasped in horror at once. As an audience you have been through so much with the struggle and have let down your anxiety and it gets re-stimulated majorly. One of the great things about seeing a movie with a big crowd. It was so thrilling and terrifying.

I got so angry when Efrem Zimbalist Jr. at the very end makes poor exhausted Audrey cross the room to come to him after all she has been through but the point is made. That is how he conditioned her to be so resourceful as a blind person. Not coddling her. BUT COME ON!!! Hah! What a great movie.

Also the moment when she pulls the doll with the drugs out of the washing machine and the phone rings as a signal from the little neighbor kid and she realizes that Richard Crenna is one of the baddies not an ally. That stricken look on her face but it is information to save her life.

There was a British movie from years ago when Hayley Mills was a kid (she did some great movies with her father, John Mills, then) and Alan Bates was just starting out. "Whistle Down the Wind" I think it was called. Alan Bates is an escaped convict and a bunch of kids find him in dire shape and feed and hide him. When one of them first finds him and asks him who he is, Alan Bates (iirc) before he passes out from hunger or exhaustion or injury swears out, "Jesus Christ!!!" So the kids convince themselves that is who he is since that's who he apparently said he was.

And then there is a point later in the movie when Bates is re-arrested by the cops and there is a silhouette of him in the distance against the sky in the night with his arms out like a cross and that reinforces the kids' imaginations once again.

But the best best line of all is from one of the little boys, maybe the one who originally found him, is when he protests flatly to the other kids, shaking his head, "He's just a fella!" He lost faith Bates was Christ. So poignant that movie. And so interesting re the parallel worlds of kids and adults!
will be back in a bit! :-) thanks for all these great comments!
THE ULTIMATE MOVIE GOTCHA. The hand coming up out of the ashes in the movie CARRIE (1976) - A Stephen King moment. I jumped at least two feet out of my seat in the movie theatre. I was not the only one.
Abra, so great to see you on this one. Yes, I had to say "5 of your favorites" since we have so many favorites! Casablanca, what an awesome movie. The political story, the love story. The Marseilles scene. A great one. Who needs dialogue! That ending, too, with Ingrid and Humphrey at the airport and the sound of the propellers reminding of their imminent separation! Sigh. And then the bonding of Louis and Rick as the fight goes on. Sometimes as Robert Frost wrote, "Happiness Makes Up in Height for What it Lacks in Length." Well, they got to have Paris AND Casablanca!!!

Dirty Dancing lacks the gravitas of the other four movies on my list. But being a female in our society and being raised that the women's role is to be self-sacrificing, to opt for the "corner" and not the "center of the room" where the males belonged was a big message for me, so to have Patrick Swayze champion Jennifer getting her out of that corner onto center stage was wonderfully inspiring and symbolic. Also, the censure of her parents and her parents' generation against Jennifer being sexually active before marriage and with a "bad boy" was also profound. Giving up "conditional love" of her father for her own unconditional love for herself was a rite of passage that was well presented.

Wow, did you get all the quotes except those two? Good for you. I see PW nailed those two. Good for her. I got most of them but not all and there are some I didn't carry over from the link's site. Some I got were from movies I didn't see but they traveled through our culture. That really makes a line iconic!

I can hear Bette Davis' wonderful, dismissive voice saying "What a dump!" Hah! Did I even see that movie? And Rosalind Russell as Auntie Mame declaring life is a banquet. Role model for us eccentric women everywhere!

Thanks, again. best, libby
Abra, NXNW, what a fantastic movie and those photographic shots of the cornfield plane chase and then of Mount Rushmore! Wasn't that woman who played his mother great? She shows up as Grace Kelly's mother in To Catch A Thief. (Remember when Grant drops the poker chip down the front of a woman's strapless gown to get Grace Kelly's mom's attention and appreciation.) On the elevator Cary's mother in NXNW point blank and outrageously asks the kidnappers if they are actually trying to kill her son and then everyone except Cary on the elevator has a good laugh!

The auction scene was wonderful! Hah! And James Mason such an elegantly smarmy bad guy.

I was trying to figure out the first rain scene -- you had me really spinning rerunning the movie in my head, but then I realize it was "train" scene you meant. Hah.

God, that tennis scene was incredible in Strangers on a Train (Hitchcock loved his trains it seems). I see Cranky cites that one as well. Yes, so comical and true to life. Which is why it connects so well with the audience. How everyone's head goes back and forth watching a tennis match but the eccentric psycho among the crowd. We get to look from outside on him on the outside. Such a directing sense of humor, or was that in the actual script I wonder? When Bruno pops the kid's balloon is also a great moment and when Hitchcock's actual daughter in that movie sees the look in Bruno's eyes and recognizes he is a psychopath!

Hitchcock is one of those famous people I am glad I didn't know him personally or even more about him. I wouldn't be as emotionally moved by his work probably. His alleged treatment of Tippi Hedron and even of his daughter at times. There is a story about in Strangers on a Train how everyone left the set and his poor daughter was stuck up on a ferris wheel for hours and hours. Hitch's idea of a joke? Downright cruel. I never did catch that movie about him with Helen Mirren and Anthony Hopkins. Was curious about it. But suspected it was spun.

You certainly cite some wonderful movies: Witness For the Prosecution, Goodfellas, Cabaret, Chariots of Fire, Tale of Two Cities and Sideways. Eclectic collection! (cacaphony again!)

best, libby
"Number 5 is alive!" Short Circuit

Arthur, the entire movie

There really are a lot of others I could mention but those two are my favorites.
1. From "Dr. Strangelove": President Muffley breaking up a fight between General Turgidson and Russian ambassador with the words, "Gentlemen, you can't fight here--this is the war room!" The president then connects on a phone call with the drunk Russian Premier Kissov.

2. From "Lawrence of Arabia": The brilliantly edited recovery sequence where Lawrence, having just crossed the Anvil, retreats.

3. The tango scene from "Scent of a Woman"

4. The kitchen scene from "Goodfellows" with Pesci, DeNiro, Liotta, and mom.

5. The police scam over free Yankee tickets early in "Sea of Love."
Mine is probably that 'Hail Mary Full of Grace' scene with Redford and Caruso when they're rowing across the river. Longest Day.

And the Captain Sully dialogue when he PA's the passengers to
'please remain calm' gliding onto the Hudson. What's the name of it? Gander Down?

Or that 48 Hours quip: Nolte to Murphy: . . . coddling inferiors . . .

evocative post L. obviously I'm sidetracked momentarily as I'm thinking of a picture perfect 'day trade' on Netflix when I was attempting to walk a certainTanya through the 'story' or rationale. one of many missed opportunities when I should have been taking care of business rather than just jibbering away like a mad man

:::sigh:::
Cranky, so nice to hear your appreciation of "Shadow of a Doubt". "Rear Window" is far better known. I think Thelma Ritter incidentally was fantastic in "Rear Window" as were Stewart and Kelly. As she was in playing a cook and maid in "A Letter to Three Wives" which is also on my top ten list.

It is said, "Shadow of a Doubt" was Hitchcock's favorite. Watching the dangerous Joseph Cotten's reputation in the eyes of the family and its network and community grow while his image with his namesake niece so dramatically, justifiably and secretly decline! I am forgetting where Hitchcock pops up in that movie in his usual cameo.

I also had forgotten what a visual hoot that tennis scene was in "Strangers on a Train".

It is time for me to see Grapes of Wrath again, and City Lights I have only seen clips of. Third Man I have never seen and Goodfellas just once. Pesci was terrifying! What a performance.

Casablanca is an incredible classic. I just did a bit of googling about it. The duel of the anthems as Abra mentions was so powerful. Since there were refugees among the cast there was a lot of true emotion coming across the camera. The luminous Ingrid (with special camera tricks using gauze and lighting to help that along though she was already luminous). Casablanca was later colorized but it turned out the black and white version works far better than the colorized version and Turner's colorized version got shelved pretty much. The fog around the plane at the end was said to cover up a cardboard plane. Hah! And Ingrid was two inches taller than Humphrey so he stood on boxes and sat on cushions. It was Bogart's first romantic role. But he and Claude Rains were nominated for Oscars. Rains showed up later with Ingrid and Cary in "Notorious", another classic. The thematic messaging of Casablanca was the nobility of personal sacrifice for the greater good. Powerful and profound messaging for 1940s America!

There are six iconic quotes from Casablanca which shows its power on our culture. Am I using the word "iconic" right, I hope?

"Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."
"Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By'." ["Play it again, Sam" is the corrupted version]
"Round up the usual suspects."
"We'll always have Paris."
"Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, she walks into mine."

And re the last one:

Bogart was teaching Bergman poker between takes, and would toast her at these times by saying, "Here's looking at you, kid!" It got absorbed into the movie.

All that Casablanca stuff from me and mostly wikipedia!

Take care!

best, libby
Aha!! Cranky -- "The Producers". That scene of the audience at the end of the "Springtime for Hitler" intro production. Absolutely!!!! So hysterical and wonderful. I have compared so many things to that audience shot in trying to convey the ultimate exhibition of a collective expression of horror! And the sly twist that their show ultimately turned out to be popular after so much deliberate sabotage by the fraudster producers! Hah!!!
OK, there's two I kept coming back to so I'm giving you six. #5a is that scene in Chariots of Fite where they're touring and exhibition of all the extra-curricular clubs and societies available. So you see snatches of some sort of Crooning Club, the Fabian Society and the Gilbert and Sullivan Club. It always reminds me of a time when at that age the world just seems full of possibilities, your friends are golden and everything is unfolding as it should. That doesn't last long enough and neither does the scene, but it's one I'm always fond of. Ironically, I'd rate Ian Charleson's performance as Eric Liddell on my all time top 10 list but there was no one scene that stood out.

And 5b is the "Tomorrow Belongs To Me" scene from Cabaret. If you've seen it you know what I mean.

And ha! The famous rain scene from NxNW. So shocking in its day that it was removed from most versions thereafter.
ps one last comment on Casablanca, re wikipedia, there are lots of shadows in the movie, many to suggest prison bars to enhance the feeling of refugees being entrapped in the limbo of Casablanca. I thought that was an interesting insight.
well, hell, i guess i'd better confess:

That scene in the Avengers when the Hulk punches Thor in the side of the head.
There's something about an angry comic book hero punching a god in the side of the head that's fucking great beyond great.
,,,,,,,,,,,,,also, that beginning, in The Book Of Eli, when Denzel Washington sits down, puts on his headphones...and Al Green starts singing "How Can You Mend A Broken Heart". Tears rolled down my cheek.
Great list, DJ! Thank you. Wonderful life! God yes! Mary as the spectacled librarian. If only James S. had lived and married her she wouldn't have needed glasses!!! Hah! I love it when James S. kisses the frustratingly detachable top of the stairway newel post, is that what it is called? I am surprised that that movie did not become an overwhelming hit when it first came out. Capra was proven right on with history! How many times did I see that one before "A Christmas Story" replaced it. (F-R-A-G-I-LEEEEEEE. That's Italian, right? Electric sex of that lamp!)

I love your bogart line from casablanca! indifference cost less than hate! hah! John Goodman in anything, but the big L he was awesome! I also enjoyed him in Sea of Love and also Raising Arizona.

Princess Bride another awesome one. Not familiar with Attica and CP except by reputation. I need to make up for lost time with many I have missed!

Roman Holiday. Sigh. Oh yeah. Audrey looking at Gregory with those big doe, girlish but oh so wise and tender eyes. Clutch in the heart! Who needs dialogue with the likes of her and him. I love when Gregory puts his hand in the hole in the wall of the cave and scares her that something has happened to it. So simple. Funny and fun. The small moments are the sweetest.

Thanks so much for sharing!

best, libby
Daniel writes: "if you don't stop watching old movies, you'll regret it. Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow. But soon, and for the rest of your life. (Here I choke up.)"

You are such a hooooooooooooot!!!

I just have to respond with a heartfelt tear: "We'll always have Open Salon!"

I am so glad you brought up the Wall Street movie! Carried a message for our time for sure. G-R-E-E-D -- from Gekko to Greenspan to Obama. Why do we remain in such a Post-Morality America? Pathological insincerity reins where the hearts of our leaders -- overlords -- should be. But corporate media with its well-paid and endearing, many, apologists for "bullshit faux lesser evil" amorality keep on leading us down the path of destruction of the world, the planet, us and those coming after us. How do we stop enabling economic and military and social violence????

Annie Hall line is so funny. I have forgotten that one. I appreciated the moment when Woody Allen gets a traffic ticket in LA and in front of the motorcycle cop he nervously apologizes for his anti-authority compulsiveness while ripping up the ticket in front of him. Talk about verbal and facial contradicting the messaging of an action of the body. Paul Simon as seducer of Annie. Hah! Best Woody Allen moment was in "Take Money & Run". Lines for me were "You have a gub? What is a gub?" As a bank robber he still couldn't get taken seriously, even basically understood. His handwriting betrayed him. A loser's loser.

The Dresser another one I did not see but heard about. What provocative lines: "Have you been happy? Has it been worth it? No, I have not been happy. And yes, it has been worth it. (The Dresser)"

Thanks for sharing and again loved the Casablanca paraphrasing!

best, libby
PW, I better put Henry V on my list. I did like Branaugh in Much Ado About Nothing -- and that movie has the most sensational sound track!!!! Anyway, missed his Henry V.

And been forever since I saw Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. The older I get the more I get Elizabeth Taylor as an actress for some reason. She made the arc from child actress to woman actress. I notice some of the popular girl actresses didn't make that transition to success. Couldn't always summon their sensuality for the screen having played innocent ingenues. Like Margaret O'Brien was an awesome child actress. I caught her in a movie as a twenty-something romantic lead and it was painful to watch. She had the look of Elizabeth Taylor at that age but not the sensuality on screen.

Taylor's vocal range always seemed limited and high pitched girl-like, her vocal cadence imho, but she had strength and presence in spite of it. I think she was terrific in Giant with Rock Hudson. Willful Eastern debutante who goes to Texas and kicks some a**. Very entertaining.

I did see "It's A Wonderful Life" a zillion times. The supper scene was terrific and really establishes the important bond of James and his Dad and especially when the maid gets called out for eavesdropping and scolds Jimmy its about time to express his admiration for his father. Also that school dance scene where Donna Reed and Jimmy don't realize everyone is watching them only because they are so close to tumbling into the opening swimming pool and they are iitterbugging up a storm. They resume dancing once they fall in, which shows how their bliss with each other just can't be dampened! Hah! Also, when he comes to her house and they get the phone call from rich fellow-high schooler and Donna's mother is on the extension. She also yells up to her mother that Jimmy is making mad, passionate love to her. Hah!

Now Voyager came on the other night and I skipped it. Now I am sorry. I like to watch Bette Davis in "All About Eve", it is so much fun with great dialogue but I found sympathizing with bratty Bette was tough for me, even with Eve showing her fangs. Another great Thelma Ritter role there. Bette is a powerful actress but off-putting for me. I always found Katherine Hepburn posturing her assertiveness or Rosalind Russell less off-putting than Bette Davis. Liked Barbara Stanwyck, too. I did like Bette Davis in Pocketful of Miracles as Apple Annie. Peter Falk was awesome in that one, too.

Erin Brokovich was a terrific movie. I think Julia did a great job in that and in Mystic Pizza. Trying to think of other movies I liked her in. My Best Friend's Wedding. She handled that well, too. She strikes me as very uneven as an actress and Pretty Woman, don't get me started -- it is one of those movies that makes me angry, like Sleepless in Seattle, that is crossing the line on grossly misguided messaging to females. Icky messaging to females.

But back to Erin B., Julia really captured her spirit and sense of mission. I liked the moment when she serves the water to the toxic chemical people and then tells them its from their very own toxic chemical region and they had it shipped in. Or when she says she's been selling sexual favors for complainant signatures and is pretty tired and needs to sit down. Hah!

Rear Window and NXNW are wonderful I think. Rebecca is certainly compelling, Joan F. did a great job.

Good going on the quotes.

best, libby
great collection of movies, jmac! to kill a mockingbird so rocks. gregory peck, what a role model of stand up citizenry! robert duval as boo radley! little scout putting it together little by little what a good and strong person her dad really was. that child challenge of innocence and confusion and grappling with the world's good, bad and ugly.

casablanca, the ever popular favorite. humphrey bogart was such a counterpoint to ingrid bergman. its been a long time since i saw that movie. now i want to see it again. i liked humphrey even more in African Queen. he and katherine hepburn had awesome chemistry in that. they are character actors playing romantic leads and it works. Bogart used to say he had an FU fund, so he didn't have to take every role that came down the pike. he would choose what he liked!

Schindler's List was a stunning movie for sure. that one I saw once. some movies are so powerful and extraordinary. and yet watching more than once is tough and you need to set your emotional clock to relive the emotional roller coaster to see them more than once. some videos and dvds i have bought and then get home and don't watch after all. maybe i am getting emotionally lazy and want escapism that won't pluck at my heart so much. or upset me.That No Country for Old Man, I got to that scene early on with the psycho guy playing with the store clerk, threatening him, and I couldn't continue to watch. That guy made my skin crawl so much. Will never see that movie all the way through. Was that good acting? That character drove me out of the theater!

Blade Runner is one i missed and I know one cherished by our generation. That one was Mel G., right?

All the President's Men one of my top 10. I love the odd couple combo of Redford and Hoffman. Or as Jason called them in the movie "Woodstein!"

Your selection of best lines are juicy:

1. "The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." Verbal Kint (Kaiser Söze) "And like that, he's gone." - The Usual Suspects

2. "I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country..." Gen. George Patton - Patton

3. "Once and for all the idea of glorious victories won by the glorious army must be wiped out. Neither side is glorious. On either side they're just frightened men messing their pants and they all want the same thing. Not to lie under the earth but to walk upon it without crutches." - Jacques Roux Marat/Sade

4. "Now you listen to me, Private Pyle, and you listen good. I want that weapon, and I want it now! You will place that rifle on the deck at your feet, and step back away from it. [Private Pyle points his rifle at Hartman]

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman (cont): What is your major malfunction numbnut? Didn't Mommy and Daddy show you enough attention when you were a child? [Pyle fires, hitting Hartman in the chest] - Full Metal Jacket

5. " Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" - Josey Wales

Thanks, James. I get chills reading that dialogue from Full Metal Jacket. One of those realistic war films for sure! Jose Wales line is a hoot. Unusual suspects was a strange and compelling movie!

best, libby
Thanks Margaret! Only one of these I have seen is Sierra Madre years ago. I have heard references to the "stinkin' badges" line! Jimmy Cagney had incredible presence. Playing a toughie or a Yankee Doodle dandy! Always remember the clip of him shoving the half grapefruit into the woman's face.Yikes. best, libby
thanks, zanelle. I really found reading down that list of quotes exciting! What power. "You can't handle the truth!" for example. Watching Nicholson blast that out! Wow. And listening to people insert these references into everyday conversations always tickles me.

mish, i love that reference to Sunset. It's the movies that got small!!! Keeping ego alive until the next closeup!!! :-) it's a tuff business show biz. God bless em, everyone!

best, libby
Abra, did not see Boogie Nights but appreciate the tracking scene appreciation!!! Frenzy, I forgot that one was Hitchcock! Been a long time since I saw that. I remember camera work was up to the title. The Goodfellas intros is great. Jimmy Twotimes & company really gives you the whole gang sensibility! Lots of energy and exposition going on in front of the voice. I enjoyed seeing both clips again. Do I Amuse You? really shows what an emotional roller coaster ride of fear such gangstas would take people on! best, libby
MTodd, love your quotes. Thanks! Fargo was a stunning movie. And that bit with Frances McDormand being "courted" by her old Asian high school friend is so underplayed yet wild. Hah! I also loved the weaklingness of William Macy's car dealer character.

Mike Yanagita: You were such a super lady... and I'm, I'm so lonely.

Did not see Napoleon D. The Caddyshack moment is a crackup. Oh Brother, Where Out Thou so droll and wild so often often. Great seeing Clooney in that kind of movie. Two weeks from everywhere. I always think I am 20 minutes from everywhere in Manhattan. Yeah, on a super cooperative subway day that almost works. Hah! Great line from Shawshank. Him with arms out to the rain re-baptized into freedom is one of my top ten moments, I'd say!

Yes, the lists can go on forever!

best, libby
Abra, enjoying your list! I grooved on Sideways, too. And love that wine speech. I enjoyed watching Madsen in that movie, too. She was such an appealing character! Love that last wrap-up line re the wine! Hah!

I think the most recent movie I went nuts for was "The Lives of Others". The arc of change of that stasi spy and the risks he took, and the satisfaction of the ending where the spied upon guy gets the whole truth finally and messages back. wow. talk about a morality tale told.

best, libby
James, thanks for sharing on this. Finally getting to you. Yes, something about those Hitchcock movies. Hitch had his story boards laid out and was very exact about the imagery as a director and what payoffs!!! Psycho with Perkins as a terrifying and endearing type guy. Yikes. I forgot Balsman was in it.

Your Rear Window scene dialogue is great. The banter that they had that seriously circles the challenge of their seemingly incompatible life styles, though Thelma Ritter is there to mock that reluctance! I liked, too, when Grace says goodbye to Jimmy and he asks, don't you mean goodnight ... and then she sounds like she is on the brink of ending it, and then surrenders, and says, well at least until tomorrow night.

Then he gets to see how intrepid our Grace actually is with all the Thorwald business. Tough audition to be in a relationship in my eyes!!!

best, libby
Lyle, so grateful you bore with me on this blog exercise. I love movies. Haven't seen them all and lately have fallen off staying abreast of them. As Good As It Gets did have some great lines and Helen was right about what a fabulous compliment that was, "You make me want to be a better man." Of course, Nicholson has to open up his hurtful mouth and add, "Well, maybe I overshot." I enjoyed his struggle to court Hunt but a big part of me was urging her to HEAD FOR THE HILLS. When Hunt breaks out with, "WHY CAN'T I HAVE A NORMAL BOYFRIEND???" and her mother in the back suggests that that is what everyone wants but ... you know ... everyone has their pockets of insanity (my words) I cracked up.

I saw Her recently, too, and enjoyed it. I can't believe they pulled that off. Kudos to the actors, director, writers, camerapeople! A very provocative movie about the state of disconnection of us humans!

best, libby
Phyllis, thanks for playing! I missed Short Circuit unfortunately though remember hearing great things about it. As for Arthur, I giggled through that entire movie. The fact that Dudley could make a narcissistic alcoholic so sympathetic and endearing. And his relationship with John Gielgud as butler and even with Liza M. who was so funny and down to earth to counterbalance him, was great! Most iconic line for me from that was when he announces was it he wants a bath and Gielgud shoots back with, "I'll alert the media." Hah!

best, libby
Jerry, great selections! Strangelove's "Gentlemen, you can't fight here--this is the war room!" Wow!. "Lawrence of Arabia", "Scent of a Woman" (that woman is now on Burn Notice iirc), "Goodfellas" again, so many scenes from that!

Re Sea of Love. That opening scene with Pacino really spelled it out. How resourceful he was as a cop, how many years he had been doing it, his sense of humor and ability to communicate with fellow cops and the law breakers both, and what a big heart he had when he lets the guy with his kid who shows up late get away. He and Goodman and he and Barkin had great exchanges! One of my favorite Pacino movies and favorite movies.

best, libby
JH! Thanks for playing. I am sorry I have not seen your selections but they go on my list. Did not even know about the Gander Down one. Thanks for the enlightenment. Your Tanya moments sound like a great scene from the JH story! :-) To be continued, I hope.

best, libby
I'm gonna change it up a bit and go all baseball - and I don't think any of these have been mentioned yet:

1) Field of Dreams - really, the entire movie is one of the greatest scenes, but "Hey dad ... you want to have a catch?" still makes tears flow every time.

2) Pride of the Yankees - Gary Cooper gives his "Luckiest Man" speech and then walks off into the dugout.

3) The Natural - The game-winning home run ball flies into the lights, sparking an electrical explosion ... and lots of goosebumps.

4) Bull Durham - all of the players and Coach Robert Wuhl gather on the pitchers mound to discuss the game, but the conversation turns to what they should be getting one of their teammates for a wedding present. "Candlesticks make a fine gift", Wuhl says, in what was apparently a completely ad-libbed scene.

5) Billy Dee Williams' speech as Gale Sayers in "Brian's Song" about praying for his dying teammate - yes, I know that this is a football movie so I'm cheating a bit, but tell me you can watch it without crying. Liar.
Abra, Chariots of Fire was great. Only saw that once a long time ago. God, the soundtrack from that was even iconic. That main song! I just picture the slo-mo racing of beautiful male bodies to the finish line! Spiritual majesty of the song with physical magnificence and stamina. Interesting take on the tour of college activities and empowerment! That is so true. Sigh.

Tomorrow Belongs to Me was chilling. Such a stirring song sung so robustly with such menace behind it in reality.

Yes, we must continue our analysis of the infamous rain scene from NXNW!!! If Abra said it was in there, it must have been so. :-)

Remember Hitch's cameo on that one just missing the bus early on when Cary is spewing out instructions to his beleaguered secretary? I still can't remember Hitch appearance in Shadow of a Doubt. I liked it in Dial M for Murder. In the picture. And Rear Window he is visiting the musician's studio.

best, libby
Hey Steve, Avengers didn't do it for me, though was very eye-filling and see your point about punching out Thor! :-) Did not see Eli but Al Green singing that song makes me cry easily anyway! Thanks for coming back!

best, libby
Lyle, yes, those Steven King moments!!! And shared with an audience are a thrill. Carrie certainly delivered! Something also about that stuff being on the BIG screen, though little screens still deliver the punch! best, libby
Andy, good for you to enter this dimension! Field of Dreams - awesome movie and getting to the dad moment was so great and even more great for males watching it I bet. "Hey dad ... you want to have a catch?" Great payoff for all Kostner character and audience went through to that point! Big and at same time little/mighty sweet payoff. Sigh.

A great oldie, Pride of the Yankees and Gary Cooper such a moving actor. Another lump in throat moment.

I really grooved on The Natural . That moment was great and "fantastic" in all senses of the word. A deliciously offbeat movie.

Bull Durham was wonderful, as well. Kudos for Kostner in your comment!!!! Your moment and quote really make me laugh. Tim Robbins and Kostner were great counterpoints. Got a great sensibility of what it meant to be in "the show". Enjoyed the dynamic with Sarandon for each guy.

Brian's Song. I whimpered my way through that so many years ago. James Caan and Billy Dee. Wow. No, I don't think one could avoid crying. Billy Dee certainly delivered and evoked mighty feelings.

Thank you!!!

best, libby
No, it's not #5c or #6. Just compliments on such a prodigious effort in your detailed responses to the comments libby.

When I first saw this I was sure that someone would mention the shower scene in Psycho or the "You talkin' to me?" scene in Taxi Driver. Or that one in Lawrence of Arabia where Omar Sharif is riding up to the well but at first he`s just a dot and it takes him a minute or two to arrive.

I too quite liked The Lives of Others but a recent German movie I liked even better was The Baader-Meinhof Complex. Well worth a look.
abra! :-)

appreciate the head's up, also!
FEBRUARY 18, 2014 09:04 PM

No comments:

Post a Comment