Friday, March 20, 2015

OC: 4 Different Poetic Takes on My Singleness (7-11-12)


Some gentle-eyed man
smiled, made aisle space as I
tracked Q-tips not love.

---------------------------

Harried, unmarried.
I climb the steps of Time.
The slope has steepened
since the way began,
and the hope less sweet
without a loving hand.

---------------------------

THAT NICE MAN
We spoke briefly
but I was impressed
by your kindness
and interest in me.
A thrilling visit
to that “you boy, me girl” place of joy
(so infrequent in this, my mid-life).
Are you married, gay, “relationshipped”
or as commitment phobic as I?
Or was it all a sweet lie
I’ve over-personalized?
It was a necessarily demure
first social meeting
crackling with promises deferred –
more likely unfulfilled.
Some friends have married love.
I still glimpse it
as a lightning bug
that less-than momentarily excites
a rare and perfect
black summer eve’s horizon.
From the scraps of a lonely child’s past
“entitlement deficiency” and Fate
seem to have prepared me
life’s plate.
Some say, “Talent will out!”
I say, not as much
as DYSFUNCTION.

---------------------------

ON AGING
“I will go gentle into that Twilight…”
In terms of aging, I’ve chosen not to fight.
Adieu Summer and dear Juvenile Spring,
Fall and Winter are new Kings.
With my “sniper-statistic” chances
at chocolate and roses romances,
I’ll hunger happily after the Sublime
and have a soul-smiling good time.
I’ll float, having shed the vain body dream,
naked and humble along Life’s merry stream,
letting the current carry me with far less struggle.
I vow to enjoy, not conquer, God’s existential puzzle.
My ancient anxieties at long last stilled,
with everybody and anything I’ll easily be thrilled.
External validation would, of course, be nice,
but no longer necessary. (Alas, such a price!)
Even with such corrals of poetry
I'm determined to be child-reckless and free,
flinging my thoughts at the pseudo-Delicate Truth,
that teased and eluded all during my youth.
Yes, in this blessed and grace-earned state,
I’ll serenely negotiate my peace with Fate.

Libby, your words say more feelings that whole novel can not, and it is true that in laconic there is the essence. Your feelings, made me understand, that I lack in understanding, and I want to thank you for writing, and sharing these insightful and heartful work..

"'... without a loving hand...A thrilling visit
to that “you boy, me girl” place of joy...Some friends have married love....I'm determined to be child-reckless and free.."

I will save them in heart, and mind. Brilliant thinking, feeling, writing!! Thank you for sharing.
You're quite something, Miss Libby. Really enjoyed these.
As Lea so beautifully said, I enjoyed these~
I like your resolve to be child-reckless and free. All of this is so familiar.

After reading so many of these OC posts I'm seeing that we are all more similar than we know. Too bad all of us wounded spirits can't hang together in the real world, too.
I, too, have reached the stage where I see no pursuit worthier than to hunger happily after the Sublime
and have a soul-smiling good time.


And the Chicken Mãâàn and I feast well and soul smile, Libby, whenever we find your verses.
A nice portfolio of your heart. :)
Thanks for these verses, Libby, I really enjoyed them. While I enjoy having a partner, singleness definitely has its benefits.
"I vow to enjoy, not conquer, God’s existential puzzle..." Wow if you can find that place, let me know. I'm still wandering around in the dark and bumping into the walls behind that one.
How lovely to resurrect some of my poems from their dark drawers and share them with such encouraging and generous hearts! thank you!!! best, libby xxxx
Now this is what I'm talkin' about, libbyliberal. Let's hear it for the woman within...

No comments:

Post a Comment